shorten path to files

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com`
Fri Jun 27 09:26:10 EDT 2008

cesco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to retrieve the content of some files which are placed on a
> network drive so in order to open them I need the full path to the
> file.
> Unfortunately some times the path is longer than 256 characters and in
> Windows such a path is too long with the result that the file is not
> found (though it is there).
>
> Is there any way around this?
>
> Thanks
> Francesco

You have some other problem.  The path limit of 256 characters is a DOS limit
not a Windows limit.  You can have paths longer than 256 characters, just not in
a command prompt window.  If not, how could the file have ever been created (you
said the file was actually there)?

You can also map a drive to some parent folder:

net use p: \\server\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4

then access the files relative to this drive.

-Larry