The best way to package a Python module?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sun Jun 15 19:58:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:39:52 +1000, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 01:37:47 +0900, js <ebgssth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >By "package", I meant APT, Ports for BSD, MacPorts, etc.
>>
>> I don't know about ports or macport, but Debian has recently
>> switched to a different policy for python packages which does not
>> involve as many Python version specific copies of things. You might
>> want to look at "python-central" and stdeb.
>
>The version-specific copies are still there in the latest Debian
>practices. That's a necessary artefact of the per-version
>site-packages of Python.
>
>What has changed is that the tools in common use for Debian packaging
>of Python libraries have taken on the role of generating those
>per-version copies at install time.
>
>This means that, for pure-Python libraries, the source package need
>only contain a version-independent source and a declaration of which
>Python versions it should be installed for. The installation tool will
>take care of making the per-version copies in various places.

Maybe.  I'm no expert on Debian packaging.  However,

exarkun at boson:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/python2.{4,5}/site-packages/sqlite/main.py
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 63 2007-12-27 15:29 /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sqlite/main.py -> /usr/share/pycentral/python-sqlite/site-packages/sqlite/main.py
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 63 2007-12-27 15:29 /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sqlite/main.py -> /usr/share/pycentral/python-sqlite/site-packages/sqlite/main.py
exarkun at boson:~$

That doesn't seem to agree with your statement.  Am I missing something?

Jean-Paul