Invalid Version Number (Distutils from Cygwin)

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Mon Jun 9 09:15:29 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 05:34:21PM -0700, newbie73 wrote:
> [snip]
> I'm attempting to build a project (FANN libraries) using cygwin (to
> avoid installing MSVC 2003) and am receiving this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> [snip]
> ValueError: invalid version number '2.18.50.20080523'

The above is a known issue:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue2234

Unfortunately, resolution of this issue has stalled.

Additionally, someone posted a different regular expression to the
Cygwin list that is suppose to handle more cases of ld version strings:

Can we reach consensus on what is the best ld version string regular
expression to use?  If so, then I will work to get this change committed
to the Python code base and release a patched Cygwin Python 2.5.2 with
this fix included.

Thanks,
Jason