Python GC does not work as it should be

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Jun 18 03:11:20 EDT 2008

"Jaimy Azle" <jazle at nospam.log.web.id> wrote:

>Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>
>> A system exception?  What's that?  C doesn't have exceptions.
>
>How could I determine it? I dont know GCC implementation, and others, but C
>on MSVC does have it. My application were not written in C, an exception
>raised was something like "access violation at address xxxx on module
>python25.dll", and MSVC debugger shows collecting state were not reset (1),
>that is why GC would never happen.

Correct.  That error is not recoverable.  If the garbage collector crashes,
the collector is in an indeterminate state, so it is quite reasonable to
prevent it from being called again.

Here is an excellent rule: Never check for an exception that you are not
prepared to handle.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.