My fight with classes :)

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Fri Jun 13 04:39:01 EDT 2008

TheSaint a écrit :

>> Well... Closures are poor men's objects, or so they say (or is that the
>> other way round ?-).
>
> Well, I'd like to know what could be the reason to design a single-call class
> instead of a similar function.

Convenience. FWIW, in Python, functions are objects, and when you use a
closure to maintain state, you in fact already use the function's class
features. Sometimes, it's just simpler and more straightforward to use a
custom callable object than closures. Two common examples are function
decorators taking arguments (which require "two levels" closures if you
want to define them as functions, something that the instanciation/call
scheme of a callable class handles naturally) and partial application.