Hard to understand 'eval'

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Mon Jun 16 05:18:53 EDT 2008

TheSaint a écrit :
> On 01:15, lunedì 16 giugno 2008 Calvin Spealman wrote:
>
>> such as getattr(obj,
>> methname)(a, b, c). Does this make sense?
>
> This is big enlightenment :) Thank you! :)
>
> I found problem with eval() when it comes to pass quoted strings.
> I circumvent that by encapsulating the strings in variable or tuple.
> The principle is to have a name which will refers a function somewhere in the
> program and to call that function, plus additional data passed in.
>
> In other word I'd expect something:
>
> function_list= ['add' ,'paint', 'read']
> for func in function_list:
>       func(*data)

Can't work - function_list is a list of strings, not a list of
functions. If the functions you intend to call are already bound to
names in the current scope, you don't even need any extra lookup
indirection:

def add(*args):
   # code here

from some_module import paint

obj = SomeClass()
read = obj.read

functions = [add, paint, read]
args = [1, 2]
for func in functions:
     func(*args)

> I tried getattr,

getattr is useful when you only have the name of the
function/method/whatever attribute as a string. And a target object
(hint: modules are objects too) of course - if the name lives either in
the global or local namespace, you can access it by name using the dicts
returned by resp. the globals() and locals() functions.

HTH