How "solid" is PyPy?

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Thu Jun 5 19:46:52 EDT 2008

Hi,

miller.paul.w at gmail.com wrote:
> I've been looking at PyPy recently, and I see it's reached version 1.0
> (and supports language version 2.4).  Given that, I was wondering what
> level of backwards-compatibility one can expect from future versions,
> i.e. if I run code on, say, a translated stackless PyPy now, what is
> the probability that it will run unmodified on PyPy 1.x, 2.x, etc.?

That's hard to say. Nobody is using PyPy in any sort of production
system yet, so the PyPy team is currently focused mostly on actually
becoming useful. Nobody really has a clue what sort of solutions for
backward compatibility we will have.

Note also that the 1.0 release is sort of oldish already (but no new
release has been made). Most people just use SVN head, which is quite
stable.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich Bolz