The Importance of Terminology's Quality

szr szrRE at szromanMO.comVE
Mon Jun 2 01:45:25 EDT 2008

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> szr wrote:
>> Arne Vajhøj wrote:

>>> I very much doubt that the original thread is relevant for the Java
>>> group.
>>>
>>> But the subthread Lew commente don was about Perl and Unix. That is
>>> clearly off topic.
>>
>> I agree with and understand what you are saying in general, but
>> still, isn't it possible that were are people in the java group (and
>> others) who might of been following the thread, only to discover
>> (probably not right away) that someone decided to remove the group
>> they were reading the thread from? I know I would not like that,
>> even if it wasn't on topic at the branch.
>>
>> Personally, I find it very annoying to have to switch news groups in
>> order to resume a thread and weed my way down the thread to where it
>> left off before it was cut off from the previous group.
>
> I am relative tolerant towards threads that are a bit off topic, if
> the S/N ratio overall is good.

Agreed.

[...]

If a thread, that is cross-posted, branches off on a tangent that has
nothing to do with one or more groups what so ever, then yes, it makes
sense to prune the 'newsgroup:' list / set follow ups, but in this case,
someone made one mention or so of 'Perl', which was being used as an
example, and someone (lew) moved to have the Java group removed.

There was little reason to cut off the thread, when people very well may
have been following it, over the utterance of one word, which was being
used as an example. The bulk of the thread had to do with general
programming, and suddenly writing the name of a language doesn't mean
it's way off on a tangent.

I hope this clears up some waters.

Regards.

--