ClassName.attribute vs self.__class__.attribute

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Fri Jun 6 10:46:08 EDT 2008

Gabriel Rossetti a écrit :
> Larry Bates wrote:
>> Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I had read somewhere that it is preferred to use
>>> self.__class__.attribute over ClassName.attribute to access class
>>> (aka static) attributes. I had done this and it seamed to work, until
>>> I subclassed a class using this technique and from there on things
>>> started screwing up. I finally tracked it down to
>>> self.__class__.attribute! What was happening is that the child
>>> classes each over-rode the class attribute at their level, and the
>>> parent's was never set, so while I was thinking that I had indeed a
>>> class attribute set in the parent, it was the child's that was set,
>>> and every child had it's own instance! Since it was a locking
>>> mechanism, lots of fun to debug... So, I suggest never using
>>> self.__class__.attribute, unless you don't mind it's children
>>> overriding it, but if you want a truly top-level class attribute, use
>>> ClassName.attribute everywhere!
>>>
>>> I wish books and tutorials mentioned this explicitly....
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>>
>> If you define a class instance variable with the same name as the
>> class attribute, how would Python be able to distinguish the two?
>> That is a feature not a problem.  Getter looks for instance attribute,
>> if one is not found it looks for a class attribute, and upwards.  This
>> behavior is used by Zope to do all sorts of neat stuff.
>>
>> -Larry Bates
>> --
>>

> A class instance variable, you must mean an instance attribute no?

I think that's what he meant, yes.

> If
> that is so, then with just self.attribute? Maybe there is a concept that
> I don't know about,

The concept of name resolution (aka lookup) rules in Python, perhaps ?
When you do obj.attribute, attribute is first looked for in the object,
then in it's class, then in the parent classes. So yes, you can get a
class (or parent class) attribute directly on the instance. Note that
assignment on the instance (obj.attribute = value) will alway (computed
attributes or other hooks excepted) create the attribute on the target,
so if you have Class.attribute set, and then do obj = Class();
obj.attribute = 42, then obj.attribute will shadow Class.attribute.

> I've studied class/static attributes and instance
> attributes in my OOP classes.

Forget about your OOP classes, mostly if it was in fact a Java or C++
class. Python's object model is very far away from what most courses
present as "OOP".