Squeak-like environment for Python?

Michael Mabin d3vvnull at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 07:35:39 EDT 2008

Check out the Brainwave platform, which uses a new "neural" database model.
 It allows you to create databases to store any kind of Python object as a
"neuron" and allows objects to be connected via link to create complex
structures that don't require conventional tables and columns.
It is a development platform that has a bundled webserver based on CherryPy,
with a built-in application generator and deployer.

http://www.brainwavelive.com

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:

> Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
>
>  Jumping Arne wrote:
>>
>>  I've been playing with Squeak a bit and I really like the persistent
>>> storage model, I also liked HyperCard and Frontier (well, the persistent
>>> storage model at least).
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is some similar environment but based on python, I
>>> would
>>> like to use this environment not as a development environment but as a
>>> platform for storing data etc - much like HyperCard.
>>>
>>> I found a few postings about such an environment:
>>>
>>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006226.html>
>>>
>>> but it looks like nothing happened.
>>>
>>> pythoncard doesn't seem to have the persistent storage model
>>>

>> What about ZODB? You can use that to store (more or less) arbitrary
>> objects.
>> Maybe that can be a foundation, if you throw in
>> http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Home
>>
>> it might be similar to squeak (I only dimly remember what squeak as a
>> whole
>> is though - smalltalk & easy multimedia I remember)
>>

> Mainly, Squeak is a (relatively) recent, free implementation of Smalltalk.
>
> <disclaimer="please someone correct me if I'm wrong">
> The "persistent storage model" - the 'image' storing the whole system
> (code, libs, data, whatever) - is part of the Smalltalk system since it's
> first conception IIRC  (even if some Smalltalk implementations - like GNU
> Smalltalk - are more traditionnaly file-based and have no automatic
> persistence).
> </disclaimer>
>
> --