Instructions on how to build py2exe 0.6.8 (or an installer would be nice, too!)

chardish at gmail.com chardish at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 11:47:25 EDT 2008

On Jun 10, 11:34 am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but I can rename the executables I create
> using py2exe 0.6.6 to anything I want after they're created.
>
> Or are you talking about a Windows installer for the py2exe module
> itself? Where are you finding this 0.6.8 version anyway? I can't find
> it onwww.py2exe.org
>
> Anyway, what Thomas is talking about is that the only way to create a
> usable installer of py2exe on Windows is to use the same compiler that
> the Python you are using. As I understand it, Python 2.4 and 2.5 used
> Visual Studio 2003. I think 2.3 used VS6. I have both, so I can try to
> compile an installer for any of those versions if you can link me to
> the source.
>
> Mike
>
> Python Extension Building Network:     http:\\www.pythonlibrary.org

The issue with renaming executables only applies to single-file
executables, i.e. ones created with zipfile = None as an argument to
setup() and --bundle 1 as a command line argument. This is a known
issue as of 0.6.6: http://py2exe.org/index.cgi/ProblemsToBeFixed

I found sources for 0.6.8 on CVS at: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=15583

A Windows installer for the 0.6.8 py2exe module would be ideal, but
somehow I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon since there hasn't
been a new installer since 2006. If you are willing to build that for
me (since I don't have VS) I'd really appreciate it : ) I'm using 32-
bit WinXP on this computer.