Python 3000 vs Perl 6

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Jun 24 07:32:12 EDT 2008

Corey G. <ctgaff at runbox.com> wrote:
>  The main concern (my concern) is whether or not Perl 6 is
>  more like Java with pre-compiled byte code (did I say that right)

See below for some python VM comments

>  and whether or not individuals without the ability to see past the
>  surface will begin to migrate towards Perl 6 for its seemingly
>  faster capabilities.

I doubt it but you never know!

>  With Perl 6 taking 10+ years, if/when it actually gets released, will
>  it be technically ahead of Python 3000?

Perl 6 was a major reason for me to switch to using python.  To make
that radical a change in the language seemed reckless.  The fact that
it still hasn't been released after 8 years of development (Larry
announced it in his State of the Onion speech in 2000 I think) makes
me think that I made the right choice.

Python 3.0 is a very gentle change to python in comparison.  You won't
have to change much of your code and when you do you'll think - that
looks better!

>  Is Parrot worth the extra wait the Perl 6 project is enduring?  My
>  own answer would be a resounding no, but I am curious as to what
>  others think. :)

Another VM to run python would be nice of course, but we already have
jython, ironpython and pypy.

Both jython and ironpython use JIT, pypy can compile to native code
and you can use psyco for JIT code also in normal python.