ImportError: DLL load failed

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Jun 27 21:11:18 EDT 2008

Tony May wrote:
> I'm having trouble importing when I run in Python. The hello world program
> passes the test during the bjam build but gives an error about loading
> the dll
> when I import from a python script.
>
> first the test from running bjam.
> ...patience...
> ...found 1915 targets...
> ...using 1 temp target...
> ...updating 2 targets...
> ...using <pbin\msvc-8.0express\debug
> \threading-multi>hello_ext.pyd...
>
> capture-output bin\hello.test\msvc-8.0express\debug\threading-multi\hello
>         1 file(s) copied.
> **passed** bin\hello.test\msvc-8.0express\debug\threading-multi\hello.test
> ...updated 2 targets...
>
> then trying to run the script from python
> I copied the pyd file and the rest of the output dir to c:\python25\dlls
>
> C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_35_0\libs\python\example\tutorial>python
> hello.py
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "hello.py", line 6, in <module>
>     import hello_ext
> ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start
> because the a
> pplication configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may
> fix this
>  problem.

The DLL that's actually being imported by your script is not a Python
extension module, as the modules initialisation function can't be found.

Use the -v option on the Python command line to identify which DLL is
actually being imported.  You can then decide to move/rename.delete it or
your own module as best fits your circumstances.