Combining music or video files?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jun 19 05:17:13 EDT 2008

On 16 Jun, 04:53, John Salerno <johnj... at gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
> Before I try this and destroy my computer :) I just wanted to see if
> this would even work at all. Is it possible to read a binary file such
> as an mp3 or an avi, put its contents into a new file, then read another
> such file and append its contents to this same new file as well, thereby
> making, for example, a single long video instead of two smaller ones?

Probably not, as people have pointed out, but I imagine you could use
GStreamer and a few processing pipelines, as I pointed out in a
comment on the following article (for another task):

http://jessenoller.com/2008/05/06/lazyweb-question-python-video-manipulation-libraries/

This is probably as close as you can get to treating the files as if
they were simple things which can be concatenated.

Paul