bpython - fancy Python shell

Sebastian "lunar" Wiesner basti.wiesner at gmx.net
Mon Jun 16 13:53:44 EDT 2008

Wolfgang Grafen <wolfgang.grafen at ericsson.com>:

> I couldn't get it work on Solaris (modified some lines for Python2.3).
If solaris doesn't have a readline library, you might try to compile gnu
readline, and recompile python (also a chance to get the current version
2.5)

> One reason was that I had to download pyreadline separately
> - I did than but now pyreadline requires either ironpython or
>    a windows installation.

pyreadline is a windows-only thing.  Since readline is a standard module on
most unix systems and linux, there was no need to implement pyreadline for
these systems.  It would have been difficult anyway, since the windows
console is completely different to unix consoles (which are fairly
compatible to each other, a outcome of POSIX efforts).

                                      (Rosa Luxemburg)