sending executable data over network..

Cédric Lucantis omer at no-log.org
Tue Jun 24 06:45:35 EDT 2008

Le Tuesday 24 June 2008 08:59:40 Piyush Anonymous, vous avez écrit :
> hi,
> i wish to change the way the function definition at run time in a running
> server. new function code which is to be executed is provided by a client
> at different location.
> i am getting it by reading a file and sending it using makefile() with
> server/client connected using sockets.
>
> how can make the lines received in a string array as new function
> definition? or should i receive it in a different way?
>
> is there any better way to do the entire thing?

One way is to transmit the code as a string and compile it on server-side with
the 'compile' builtin function. Another is to compile it on client-side and
transmit the resulting code object with the marshal module but there are many
restrictions on it (specially the fact that the client and server will have
to run the same python version) so carefully read the docs first. I'd choose
the first solution, eventually using the pickle module to avoid encoding
problems.

--
Cédric Lucantis