Code correctness, and testing strategies

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue Jun 3 04:13:03 EDT 2008

jacob at cd.chalmers.se (Jacob Hallen) wrote:

> The most important aspect of usnit testing is actually that it makes
> the code testable. This may sound lik an oxymoron but it is actually a
> really important property. Testable code has to have a level of
> modularity as well as simplicity and clarity in its interfaces that
> you will not achieve in code that lacks automated unit tests.

Excellent clear description, thanks Jacob.

I made the mistake at one point when I was trying to sell the concept of
TDD telling the people I was trying to persuade that by writing the tests
up front it influences the design of the code. I felt the room go cold:
they said the customer has to sign off the design before we start coding,
and once they've signed it off we can't change anything.

I wish I'd had your words then.