Does '!=' equivelent to 'is not'

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jun 17 20:26:00 EDT 2008

En Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:09:41 -0300, Derek Martin <code at pizzashack.org>
escribió:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:33:03AM -0300, Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>> > Basically 'a is b' and 'not(a is b)' is similar to 'id(a) == id(b)'
>> > and 'not(id(a) == id(b))'
>>
>> No.
>
> Sure it is... he said "similar"... not identical.  They are not the
> same, but they are similar.

'equality' and 'identity' are similar too, so the whole answer would make
no sense in that case. You can't explain identity based on things that
aren't identical. A fine grained question for a fine grained difference
requires a fine grained answer.

> Saying a flat "no" alone, without qualifying your statement is
> generally interpreted as rude in English...  It's kind of like how you
> talk to children when they're too young to understand the explanation.
> Yucky.

I didn't meant to be rude at all - and I apologize to Mr. Lie. The
explanation for such strong "No" was in the paragraph below it (the idea
was to say: "No to this, yes to that")

--
Gabriel Genellina