Python as a Testing Language - TTCN-3 Comparison

Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) sarvi at cisco.com
Fri Jun 20 01:26:15 EDT 2008

Well, looks like someone did such a comparison just recently. Just FYI
PDF at the link below

http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~bernard/A%20comparison%20between%20ttcn-3%20
and%20python%20v%2011.pdf

Comparing TTCN-3 with raw python as they have done is not fair. But even
then some of the comparisons made does not seem to make good use of
python constructs to be fair.

It seems to me with a little bit of a well written python test framework
behind the scenes the comparison wouldn't be as bad as this document
shows.

For example they compare a TTCN-3 structure and template to Python
objects. But I am guessing for these uses a Dictionary would have been a
better way of representing a TTCN-3 template or structure in python.

Anyway,  to me what this does point out is that the current python test
frameworks(python the language) are just good enough, compared to
TTCN-3. We just need a better python test framework and may be in that
process we may be able to identify some python language constructs, if
any, that might make it easier to build the test framework or describe
test cases.

Sarvi