Debuggers

TheSaint fc14301589 at icqmail.com
Sat Jun 14 05:51:36 EDT 2008

On 19:21, venerdì 13 giugno 2008 R. Bernstein wrote:

> I'm not completely sure what you mean, but I gather that in
> post-mortem debugging you'd like to inspect local variables defined at the
> place of error.

Yes, exactly. This can be seen with pdb, but not pydb.
If I'm testing a piece of code and it breaks, then I'd like to see the
variables and find which of them doesn't go as expected.

> Python as a language is a little different than say Ruby. In Python
> the handler for the exception is called *after* the stack is unwound

I'm not doing comparison with other languages. I'm simply curious to know why
pydb don't keep variables like pdb.

Final, I agreed the idea to restart the debugger when an exception is trow.
It could be feasible to let reload the file and restart. Some time I can
re-run the program , as the error is fixed, but sometime pdb doesn't
recognize the corrections applied.
I mean that after a post-mortem event, the debugger should forget all
variables and reload the program, which meanwhile could be debugged.

--
Mailsweeper Home : http://it.geocities.com/call_me_not_now/index.html