binary representation of an integer

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 24 15:06:35 EDT 2008

cokofreedom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 24, 10:38 am, Mark Dickinson <dicki... at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Interestingly, unlike hex and oct, bin doesn't add a trailing
>> 'L' for longs:

>> '0b1101'
>>
>> I wonder whether this is a bug...

> Strange in 2.6, but I know at least in 3.0 that all integers are C
> Long's now, so the L is no longer required.

In current 2.x, the trailing L is no longer required for long integer
input; the lexer decides whether to make an int or long.  Similarly,
ints are automatically converted to longs as needed instead of raising
overflow errors (as once happended).  The trailing L on output would
have been removed already except for backward compatibility.  But there
was no back-compatibility requirement for 0bxxxx strings.

In 3.0, all integers are class 'int'.  The internal representation as
fixed or extended precision is entirely an internal implementation matter.