DICOM library

mathieu mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 10:13:22 EDT 2008

On Jun 10, 1:05 pm, ust... at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everybody!
> I've been looking for a python library wich allows me to work with
> with DICOM files, for medical image processing. Finding nothing at
> first, evenctually i've find thegdcmlibrary, wich is suposed to be
> for c developement, but they say that you can use it with python, as
> "It is automatically wrapped to python (using swig)". So, the cuestion
> is: how can I use this kind of library, wich is suposed to be used
> with c, in python? When I download the tarball there ae only 2 .py
> files. shall I install the whole library for using in C, and then try
> to import thegdcmmodule in python? becouse i'm afraid it won't work.
> Thanks in advance, and sorry for my english, wich is not very good
> actually. Sorry for asking for something before trying everything, but
> i'm almost desperate to find a library like that.

You will get a tons more help directly at GDCM ML:

The process is quite simple, GDCM is written using a limited subset of
C++ (not C!) and using SWIG the API can be automagically wrap into
another target language (in your case: python).

If you download the binaries, you are all set (expect maybe adjusting
your PYTHONPATH).

Anyway this is highly GDCM oriented, and we should continue this
discussion directly on the GDCM ML.

HTH
-Mathieu