python interface to Firefox and Thunderbird

yardennis yardennis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:11:37 EDT 2008

On Jun 27, 10:15 am, Larry Bates <larry.ba... at websafe.com`> wrote:
> yardennis wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I need python moudles that can
>
> > auto install python 2.5 (web install or a EXE file)
>
> > auto download and install Firefox3 and Thunderbird 2
> > auto import from IE 6, 7 and OE 5,6 and Outlook
>
> > read contacts and emails from Thunderbird store
> > read Firefox 3 bookmarks, history, cookies and password
>
> > Can anyone point to a open source solution ?
>
> > If you know of any freelancer that can help me develop the module
> > please let me know.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Dennis
> > yardennis at gmail dot com
>
> The reason you haven't gotten any responses is that you didn't provide adequate
> information>
>
> You didn't say what O/S, so I have to guess that since you said Outlook it must
> be windows.
>
> - Auto download and install FF3/TB2.  Why?  Dowload the installers and put them
> somewhere (CD/ROM, Flash Drive, etc) , then write a batch file that installs them.
>
> - Auto download and install Python.  Same as FF/TB.  Get setup.exe from
> ActiveState Python.
>
> - Auto import from IE 6, 7 and OE 5,6 and Outlook.  Auto import what into what?
> Is OE Outlook Express?  What do you want to import and what are you importing into?
>
> - Read contacts and emails from Thunderbird store.  Why?  Wouldn't it be easier
> to read them from the POP3/IMAP server?
>
> - Read Firefox 3 bookmarks, history, cookies and password.  There are plug-ins
> that allow you to export these items (at least bookmarks and passwords).
> History/cookies can be easily cleared by the users.  If you want to monitor
> sites visited, there are better ways.
>
> As you can see we will need to know more about what you are trying to accomplish
> to help more.
>
> -Larry

Larry,

Thanks for your post. Sorry for not making myself clear.

I am building for Windows first then porting to OSX and Linux later

What I need is a webinstaller or a exe file then will start
downloading Python 2.5, Firefox 3 and Thunderbird 2 and install them
into a different dir from the default install. (To prevent version
conflict)

A python script will :

using Firefox3 import feature - import all available settings from
Internet Explorer 6, 7 into Firefox 3 (password, cookies, favorites,
history)

using Thunderbird 2 import feature - import from outlook express 5,6
and Outlook into Thunderbird 2 (emails, pop, smtp, imap settings,
password, contacts)

I need python modules

to read the contacts and emails in Thunderbird 2
to create new contacts and send emails in Thunderbird 2 (just added
this)

to read the history, cookies, bookmarks, passwords stored in Firefox 3
with the cookie/password get selected web pages with urlib/urlib2
(just added this too)

These python modules will be used by a CMS(KPAX) running under web2py.

It will be good to use existing open source modules.

I am also prepared to engage a freelancer to help me develop the
modules

Thanks

Dennis