Bit substring search

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jun 24 11:06:09 EDT 2008

Kris Kennaway:
> Unfortunately I didnt find anything else useful here yet :(

I see, I'm sorry, I have found hachoir quite nice in the past. Maybe
there's no really efficient way to do it with Python, but you can
create a compiled extension, so you can see if it's fast enough for
your purposes.
To create such extension you can:
- One thing that requires very little time is to create an extension
with ShedSkin, once installed it just needs Python code.
- Cython (ex-Pyrex) too may be okay, but it's a bit trikier on Windows
machines.
- Using Pyd to create a D extension for Python is often the faster way
I have found to create extensions. I need just few minutes to create
them this way. But you need to know a bit of D.
- Then, if you want you can write a C extension, but if you have not
done it before you may need some hours to make it work.

Bye,
bearophile