How to make py2.5 distutil to use VC2005?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Jun 4 07:45:14 EDT 2008

甜瓜 schrieb:
> Howdy,
>     This problem have puzzled me for a long time. I usually use
> python2.5 in Windows, while VC2005 is installed.
> However python25.lib is compiled by VC2003. When I use disutil to
> build some C extensions, it complaints that
> there is no VC2003.
>     Well, IMO, the format of binary files generated by VC2003 and
> VC2005 is compatible in most cases. What
> should I do to workaround this error? I mean, disable distutil
> complaints and use VC2005 to build C extensions.
> I have google-ed some discussion related on this topic. It seems that
> it's real possible!
>     Thank you in advance.

It's possible but ill-advised. The free mingw32 compiler can build
Python extensions just fine. I'm using it all the time to build Python
2.5 extensions for Windows.

In the future Python 2.6 and 3.0 are build with my VS 2008 system and
extensions can be build with the free express version, too.

Christian