problems with opening files due to file's path

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 10:39:15 EDT 2008

On Jun 11, 9:14 pm, Carsten Haese <carsten.ha... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lie wrote:
> > In most GUI toolkits (including Tkinter) and raw_input() function,
> > when you input a string (using the textbox, a.k.a Entry widget) it
> > would automatically be escaped for you, so when you input 'path\path
> > \file.txt', the GUI toolkit would convert it into 'path\\path\
> > \file.txt'.
>
> That's incorrect. If you enter text into a text box or in raw_input(),
> *no* conversion of backslashes is happening. A backslash entered in
> raw_input is just a backslash. A backslash entered in a textbox is just
> a backslash. A backslash read from a file is just a backslash.

I know, but I thought it'd be easier for him to understand it like
that and discover the real 'how-it-works' later. My guilt is that I
forget to put a "this is not how it actually works behind the scene,
but you can think of it like this at least for now since this model is
easier to grasp (although misleading)".