Multiprecision arithmetic library question.

Michael Press rubrum at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 18 14:05:52 EDT 2008

In article <slrng5homp.ihm.mdw at metalzone.distorted.org.uk>,
 Mark Wooding <mdw at distorted.org.uk> wrote:

> Michael Press <rubrum at pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > I already compiled and installed the GNU multiprecision library
> > on Mac OS X, and link to it in C programs.
> > How do I link to the library from Python?
>
> You know that Python already supports multiprecision integer arithmetic,
> right?  If you desperately want GMP, though, there's the gmpy module
> (q.g.).

No, I do not know that. Define desperate.
Does Python support the extended Euclidean algorithm
and other number theory functions?
How fast does Python multiply?
Not that the latter is particularly important,
as C is built for speed.

I've been fooling around. Ran dir(gmpy), and
it does not show the full complement of GMP
library functions, such as the various division
functions. e.g. mpz_tdiv_qr.

--
Michael Press