problems with opening files due to file's path

Carsten Haese carsten.haese at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 22:38:30 EDT 2008

No. Earlier you wrote:

>> On 2008-06-11, Alexnb <alexnbryan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am using GUI, Tkinter to be exact. But regardless of how the
>>> path gets there, it needs to opened correctly.

This implies that the file doesn't get opened correctly if the file name
is entered/chosen in the GUI. Yet, the examples you posted don't contain
any GUI code whatsoever. They merely demonstrate that you don't have a
firm grasp on how backslashes in string literals are treated.

So, this begs the question, do you actually have any GUI code that is
failing, or are you just worried, given the problems you had with string
literals, that the GUI code you have yet to write will fail in the same way?

If this is the case, you should just write the GUI code and try it. It
might just work. Backslashes entered into a GUI text box are not treated
the same as backslashes in a Python string literal.

If, on the other hand, you do have some GUI code for getting the file
name from the user, and that code is failing, then please, show us THAT
CODE and show us how it's failing.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net