NumPy chararray and whitespace

OKB (not okblacke) brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net
Wed Jun 18 17:04:07 EDT 2008

    	Hi.  I'm trying to use NumPy's chararray class for an array of
characters.  I notice that when I try to set a chararray element to a
space, it actually gets set to an empty string.  I found some pages
online indicating that the chararray strips trailing whitespace from its
values.

    	I am really, really, hoping this is not a hard-coded, unalterable
behavior.  Is there a way to get NumPy chararray to include the
characters I tell it to, without modificiation?

Thanks,
--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell