Why does python not have a mechanism for data hiding?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 09:41:48 EDT 2008

On Jun 2, 9:07 am, Antoon Pardon <apar... at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> On 2008-06-02, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think you completed missed the point.
>
> > I'm not sure I missed the point so much as I failed to read your mind.
>
> Fine with me, it is just the other side of the coin.
>
> >> This is just a proof of concept thing. In a real example there would
> >> of course no Set en Get methods but just methods that in the course
> >> of their execution would access or update the hidden attributes
>
> > Fair enough, but I don't see anything in your example that suggests a
> > way to discriminate between access from within the class and access
> > from outside the class, which is the crucial aspect of data hiding.
>
> The fact is that hidden and its attributes are not accessible from
> outside the instance. They are only accessible to the local functions
> of __init__. By binding those local functions as atributes to the
> instance, hidden can be modified by what for all practical purposes
> looks like a method call, but really is a closure call.

You haven't hidden the data at all, all you've done is to change the
means of accessing it.  What difference does it make whether I write
foo.getX() or foo.x?  Everyone in the world still has full access to
the data.

You are not realizing that only useful(**) thing about data hiding is
that some code has access to the data, other code does not.  If you
"hide" data equally from everyone it's just a useless spelling change.

** - Usefulness is questionable in most cases, but we assume it is
here for the sake of argument.

Carl Banks