Annoying message when interrupting python scripts

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jun 17 22:26:57 EDT 2008

John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net> writes:

> On Jun 18, 12:51 am, geoffbache <geoff.ba... at jeppesen.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Is this a bug? I couldn't find any code, but I imagine something like
> > try:
> >      import site
> > except:
> >      sys.stderr.write("import site failed; use -v for traceback\n")
> >
> > which should surely allow a KeyboardInterrupt exception through?
>
> Surely?? A bare "except" catches *all* remaining uncaught exceptions.

I parsed that "should" as "this should be changed".

> Allowing a KeyboardInterrupt exception through would require:
>    except KeyboardInterrupt:
>       pass

Actually, to allow it through would require re-raising it:

    except KeyboardInterrupt:
        raise

Yes, I think that's what Geoff is saying "should" be done :-)

--
 \      "When I was born I was so surprised I couldn't talk for a year |
  `\                                     and a half."  -- Gracie Allen |