Need help capturing output of re.search

joemacbusiness at yahoo.com joemacbusiness at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 18:31:57 EDT 2008

Hi -

I need help capturing the output of a RegEx search.
I dont understand why this conditional fails.

Here is the code:

#================================= start snip
======================================
#!/usr/local/bin/python

import os
import re

dirName = '/home/user/bin/logs'
os.chdir(dirName)
files = os.listdir(dirName)
for myFile in files:
#    print 'checking ...', myFile
    reCheck = ''
    reCheck = re.search(r'\bCC_',  myFile)
#    print 'reCheck = ', '=', reCheck, '='

    if reCheck == "None":
        print myFile, '   ..... does not qualify'
    else:
        print '          ', myFile, 'qualifies...', reCheck

#================================= end snip

The problem is that reCheck never == None.
So all of the files "qualify".  My understanding of the
re.search (re.search(r'\bCC_',  myFile)) is ...
1) give me  only files that start with a word boundary (\b)
2) followed by a (CC_)
3) in myFile

Why doesn't the output of the re.search load reCheck with valid data?
(like "None")

Thanks