definition of a highlevel language?

Jan Claeys usenet at janc.be
Sat Jun 7 18:27:38 EDT 2008

Op Mon, 26 May 2008 15:49:33 -0400, schreef Dan Upton:

> The point about them looking very little like x86/ARM/etc chips is the
> important part though--IIRC, part of the failure of Java machines was
> lousy support for preexisting code, due to the optimizations for Java
> bytecode, and I expect the same would be true of a Python
> bytecode-optimized processor.

AFAIK "Java processors" are mostly used as coprocessors next to an ARM
core (or similar), allowing you to run Java applications at a reasonable
speed on otherwise relatively slow mobile phone CPUs and the like.

In theory, it's possible to design a processor that can run some form of
Python-oriented bytecode quite efficiëntly, but I fear that nobody really
wants to invest the money to do so at the moment?

--
JanC