problems with opening files due to file's path

Carsten Haese carsten.haese at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:05:03 EDT 2008

Alexnb wrote:
> Okay, so as a response to all of you, I will be using the Entry() widget in
> Tkinter to get this path. and the repr() function just makes all my
> backslashes 4 instead of just 1, and it still screwes it up with the numbers
> and parenthesis is has been since the first post. Oh and I know all about
> escape characters, (\n,\b,\a,etc.) I can program C, not a lot, but enough to
> know that I like python better. Anyway, so far I tried all of your stuff,
> and it didn't work. infact, it puts backslashes in front of the "'" in some
> of the words, such as "I'm" goes to "I\'m." So I posted the code I will be
> using if you want to see the Tkinter code I can post it, but I don't see how
> it will help.

Your reluctance to post your code puzzles me. Several people have asked
you several times to post your code. We're not doing this to waste your
time. In fact, your reluctance to post your code wastes your time and
our time by making us guess.

Seeing your code should enable us to see exactly what the problem is.
Your vague descriptions of what's going on are not useful because they
are filtered through your inaccurate understanding of what's going on. I
mean no offense by this, but if your understanding were accurate, you
wouldn't be here asking for help.

So, if you want us to help you, please humor us and post the actual code
that gets the filename from the user and attempts to open the file. Also
tell us what input you're entering and the output the code produces.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net