Integrating a code generator into IDLE

Sam Denton stdenton at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 1 11:40:09 EDT 2008

Code generators seem to be popular in Python.
(http://www.google.com/search?q=python+code-generator)

I have one that I'd like to integrate into IDLE.  Ideally, I'd like to
(1) have a new file type show up when I use the File/Open dialog, and
(2) have a function key that lets me run my generator against the file,
just like F5 lets me run my Python code; ideally, I'd like to re-purpose
the F5 key to be file-type aware.  I've got a simple extension written
that uses the F6 key to "compile" my files, but two goals I've listed
seem a bit beyond me.  Does anyone have any advice/pointers?  Or is one
or both ideas impractical?  Thanks!