need help with timezone conversion (unexpected side effect of time.mktime ??)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Jun 3 11:01:56 EDT 2008

On 3 Jun, 16:12, Ivan Velev <sir.hey... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Minimal example below - it gives me different output if I comment /
> uncomment the extra time.mktime call - note that this call is not
> related in any way to main logic flow.
>
> When "problematicStamp = ..." is commented I get
> gmtStamp: 1130634600.0
>
> when I uncomment that line I get
> gmtStamp: 1130631000.0

I've tried this with Python 2.3 and 2.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
and can't reproduce the problem, even with other TZ values such as
"EEST3" (which appears to be a legal name and does change the
timestamp produced). I don't think much has changed in the time module
since 2.4, which means that there might be some kind of library or
configuration issue involved which causes the observed behaviour.

Paul