Need help porting Perl function

kj socyl at 987jk.com.invalid
Sun Jun 8 12:50:19 EDT 2008

In <7248c81b-0ff9-45f5-acb5-63a8b2d41817 at f24g2000prh.googlegroups.com> John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net> writes:

>It's nothing to do with list comprehensions, which are syntactical
>sugar for traditional loops. You could rewrite your list comprehension
>in the traditional manner...
>and it would still fail for the same reason: mutating the list over
>which you are iterating.

I normally deal with this problem by iterating backwards over the
indices.  Here's how I coded the function (in "Python-greenhorn
style"):

def cull(list):
    culled = []
    for i in range(len(list) - 1, -1, -1):
        if not_wanted(list[i]):
            culled.append(list.pop(i))
    return culled

...where not_wanted() is defined elsewhere.  (For my purposes at the
moment, the greater generality provided by making not_wanted() a
parameter to cull() was not necessary.)

The specification of the indices at the beginning of the for-loop
looks pretty ignorant, but aside from that I'm happy with it.

Kynn