Help need with subprocess communicate

rdabane at gmail.com rdabane at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 21:04:40 EDT 2008

On Jun 3, 5:42 pm, Daniel Klein <dani... at featherbrain.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:04:10 -0700 (PDT), rdab... at gmail.com wrote:
> >I'm trying to perform following type of operation from inside a python
> >script.
> >1. Open an application shell (basically a tcl )
> >2. Run some commands on that shell and get outputs from each command
> >3. Close the shell
>
> >I could do it using communicate if I concatenate all my commands
> >( separated by newline ) and read all the output in the end. So
> >basically I could do following sequence:
> >1. command1 \n command2 \n command 3 \n
> >2. Read all the output
>
> >But I want to perform it interactively.
> >1. command1
> >2. read output
> >3. command2
> >4. read output ......
>
> >Following is my code:
>
> >from subprocess import *
> >p2 = Popen('qdl_tcl',stdin=PIPE,stdout=PIPE)
> >o,e = p2.communicate(input='qdl_help \n qdl_read  \n
> >qdl_reg_group_list ')
>
> >Please suggest a way to perform it interactively with killing the
> >process each time I want to communicate with it.
>
> Use
>         stdin.write(command + '\n')
> to 'send' data to the sub-process.
>
> Use
>         stdout.readline()
> to 'receive' data from the sub-process.
>
> But to use this requires you open the subprocess with:
>
>         universal_newlines = True
>
> It assumes that 'command' will be sent with '\n' and received data will come
> in a line at a time. Your Python program needs to know what to expect; you
> are in control.
>
> Alternatively, you can use std.write() and stdout.read() (without
> universal_newlines) but this means you need to create your own IPC protocol
> (like netstrings).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Daniel Klein

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your reply..
I've done exactly as you suggested...but I'm still having problem with
the read...it just gets stuck in
the read ( I think because its a blocking read...)

following is a simple example of problem..please try running it ...

from subprocess import *
p2 =
Popen('python',shell=True,stdin=PIPE,stdout=PIPE,universal_newlines=True)
for i in range(10):
    p2.stdin.write('print 10'+'\n')   # Write Command
    o = p2.stdout.readline()          # Read Command
    print o

I appreciate all your help...

Thanks,
-Rahul Dabane.