How do web templates separate content and logic?

Fri Jun 27 12:09:59 EDT 2008

I've been doing some research on web templates, and even though I read that
they help enforce the MVC pattern, I don't really understand how they are
keeping content and logic separated. Layout is easy, it's just not there as
far as I can see, and CSS can be used for that.

But when you have a templating system that mixes HTML and Python code, how
is this helping to keep things separate? It seems to be the same issue that
some people have with PHP (that it is too integrated with the HTML, rather
than being separate).

Of course, I suppose whether or not any of this matters depends on if you
are a web designer or a programmer, but am I missing something about
templates, or is it really the case that they, more or less by definition,
combine content and logic?

Thanks.