php vs python

Joel Koltner zapwireDASHgroups at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 19:42:24 EDT 2008

"Ethan Furman" <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote in message
news:mailman.1782.1212179802.12834.python-list at python.org...
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> > As I've said before - good programmers can write good code in any
> > language.
> So... an eloquent speaker of English is also an eloquent speaker of
> Spanish/French/German?

There's potentially a large difference between a "good" speaker of
English/German/etc. vs. "eloquent."

I'd tend to agree with Jerry that if you can write "good" code in one
language, you can in pretty much any other as well... but that doesn't imply
you're necessarily "eloquent" in any languages. :-)  Eloquence is nice, but
eradicating "bad" code in this world is about a million times more important
than attempting to move people from "good" code to "eloquent" code.

To be Pythonic here, "eloquent" code would perhaps often have clear, clean
list comprehensions used when "good" code would use a "for" loop but still be
easy to follow as well and perfectly acceptable in the vast majority of cases.