Email Bounce Detection

madhav madhav.bnk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 03:03:15 EDT 2008

Hello everybody, I need a mechanism to detect email bounces. I tried
browsing through smtplib implementation and found not helpful in this
case. Actually it is said in the documentation that if a mail is sent
to say: "somerandomname at randomorg.com", then "_send()" in the
SMTPConnection class returns 550(Unknown recceipient). I checked the
same but its not returning 550 and return 250(receipient ok).
Later, I tried getting the smtp error code from the mail body of a
bounced msg. the "Message" class doesnot have any error code attribute
by default. We need to get it from the mailbody(by regex ing), which i
think is not a valid solution, as "550" can occur anywhere in the body
of any message otherthan the bounced msg also.
Please help me regarding this.
Thanks in advance.