Attack a sacred Python Cow

castironpi castironpi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 14:10:33 EDT 2008

On Jul 27, 2:56 am, Nikolaus Rath <Nikol... at rath.org> wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> writes:
> >> What he wants is to write
>
> >  > class foo:
> >>    def bar(arg):
> >>        self.whatever = arg + 1
>
> >> instead of
>
> >> class foo:
> >>    def bar(self, arg)
> >>        self.whatever = arg + 1
>
> >> so 'self' should *automatically* only be inserted in the function
> >> declaration, and *manually* be typed for attributes.
>
> > which means making 'self' a keyword just so it can be omitted. Silly
> > and pernicious.
>
> Well, I guess that's more a matter of personal preference. I would go
> for it immediately (and also try rename it to '@' at the same time).
>
> Best,
>
>    -Nikolaus
>
> --

>  »It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
>   By definition, there are already enough people to do that.«
>                                                          -J.H. Hardy

Hardy has an interesting claim.  OT.

He has omitted a couple of lemmas, which aren't true.

1: There are enough people to be in the majority.
2: It is not worthwhile to be in the majority.
3: There is no majority of worthwhile timespending.
4: There is no majority of intelligent men.
5: Being in the majority takes time.

It is worth some intelligent men's time to be in the majority; the
majority of intelligent men are intelligent men, and are in the
majority of intelligent men.  Perhaps it is merely not worth their
time to be.