Weird lambda rebinding/reassignment without me doing it

David C. Ullrich dullrich at sprynet.com
Fri Jul 11 12:20:53 EDT 2008

In article
<f46f5968-c1f4-44a9-972a-164c45195c38 at t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 ssecorp <circularfunc at gmail.com> wrote:

> 	return x.append(y)

> [1, 2, 3]
> [1, 2, 3, 4]
> False
> [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#29>", line 1, in <module>
>     mod(l,4)
>   File "<pyshell#18>", line 2, in mod
>     return x.append(y)
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'append'
> [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
> >>>

> same stuff but i dont find this intuitive.

You need to read the docs. AList.append(x) does _not_
return AList with x appended. In fact it returns None,
because it wants to be a "procedure" that doesn't return
anything at all, but there is no such thing in Python;
functions and methods that do not explicitly contain
a "return" statement return None.

So when you say "return x.append(a)" you're saying
"return None", which explains the rest of it. You
noticed that the second line of

didn't print anything? That's because the first line
set l to None. If you'd typed "print l" instead of just "l"
you would have seen

>>> l = mod(k,4)
>>> l
>>> None