iterating "by twos"

Daniel da Silva ddasilva at umd.edu
Wed Jul 30 01:08:26 EDT 2008

The following method is similar to the others provided, but yields an
index value as well (similar to the enumerate(iterable) function).
This is useful in some (but not all) situations.

If the iterable object's iterator returns an even number of items then
you're fine; otherwise it will throw away the last item because it
doesn't have a full pair to return.

-------------------------
import itertools

def enumeratePairs(x):
    it = iter(x)

    for i in itertools.count():
        p = it.next()
        q = it.next()
        yield i, (p,q)

    raise StopIteration
--------------------------
>>> for v in enumeratePairs("hello i am daniel"):
...     print v