Questions on 64 bit versions of Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jul 28 17:06:04 EDT 2008

> I hadn't heard "Intel 64" before. That's a bit nervy, isn't it? Plus it
> seems to conflict with their own use of "IA-64" (Intel Architecture 64)
> for the Itanium (vs. "IA-32" for traditional x86).

Indeed. Microsoft Installer has an architecture string for the MSI file;
"Intel64" there means Itanium (and AMD64 can be denoted by either
"AMD64" or "x64"). This was from a time when Intel still told people
that the future of 64-bit computing is in Itanium (and architecturally,
I still think this would have been the right choice).

Regards,
Martin