python scalability

Jeffrey Froman jeffrey at fro.man
Thu Jul 10 10:30:37 EDT 2008

Tim Mitchell wrote:

> One of my project managers questions is: "Are we the only company in the
> world with this kind and size of project?"

I can't provide a bigger success story personally (my largest project is
currently about 15k lines of code, eminently manageable by one person.) But
Google comes to mind. Just a feeling I get from quotes like:

"Python is big at Google ... being used for everything from build tools to
managing ads."
        -- Guido Van Rossum

"When programming in python, one should design for scalability.  If you
design properly, the you should be able to just throw more machines at the
problem and your app should scale fine."
        -- Greg Stein's PyCON keynote, paraphrased by Matt Harrison
        http://panela.blog-city.com/python_at_google_greg_stein__sdforum.htm

Maybe that's not exactly the sort of scalability you're referring to, but
certainly Goolge is colossal in its deployment. I have a hard time
imagining that scalability based on "N lines of code" is going to be any
better in any other language.

Jeffrey