Python embedding question.

Thomas Troeger thomas.troeger.ext at siemens.com
Tue Jul 15 06:14:21 EDT 2008

Kay Schluehr wrote:
> On 15 Jul., 11:51, Thomas Troeger <thomas.troeger.... at siemens.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've really looked at a lot of places but haven't found a suitable
>> solutions yet, so I'm asking here in hope that someone has experience
>> with that topic.
>
> Which solutions did you rule out?

- Python + Qt, because it's definitely overkill for my plans. I only
need simple graphics and some sound, no widgets. Basically I'm looking
for something really lightweight that has methods for drawing graphic
primitives and renders fonts -- no complicated widgets, windows,
scrollbars and the like. And, for example, the Qt library is a real
heavyweight with approx. 10 MB for qt-3.3.8 alone.

- The same holds for cairo/pango, I've written a test program (in C, I
must say) that has dynamic links to 10 libraries that are all like 250kb
in size. That's a lot for a small embedded device.

I'd like a solution that's not over 10MB altogether, and the interpreter
comes at a 60 MB if all modules are included. I can't imagine noone has
had this problem before... and I'm trying to not invent the wheel again :^)