Modify a string's value

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 16 00:55:54 EDT 2008

s0suk3 at gmail.com writes:

> I just came across this unusual situation where I'd like to modify a
> string passed to a function

Again: Why? The normal way to do this is to create a new string and
return that.

> which seems impossible since Python passes arguments by value.

No, Python passes arguments by reference
<URL:http://effbot.org/zone/python-objects.htm>.

--
 \       “For of those to whom much is given, much is required.” —John |
  `\                                                        F. Kennedy |