Freesoftware for auto/intelligent code completing in Python

Ali Servet Dönmez asd at pittle.org
Sun Jul 6 07:09:22 EDT 2008

On Jul 4, 7:10 am, Yu-Xi Lim <y... at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Ali Servet Dönmez wrote:
>
> > I tried code come completion options in Emacs for Python, but none of
> > them was satisfactory to me. I'd be glad to hear how did your friend
> > get it work though.
>
> Perhaps it would help to say what ways the completion in Emacs was not
> satisfactory?

I simply couldn't manage to get it work.

> FWIW, it should be possible to get IPython-type completion in Emacs, but
> I hadn't managed that yet :( Refactoring, too. Both involve Pymacs but
> I've had limited success with that.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

> As for PyDev (I know you said "No" to this already), the main problem I
> have with PyDev/Eclipse is the woefully underpowered editor (compared to
> Emacs), and poor indentation logic. On the plus side, refactoring works
> pretty well. So why not PyDev?

I tried PyDev with Eclipse too and it's an aweful environment to me.
Auto-completion was a total failure too...

> I'm just wondering, you insist on Free/Libre software solutions, and say
> the ones you tried don't work for you. Why not "use the source" and fix
> them so they work your way? ;) To quote you: "how hard it could be be
> writing a freesoftware which would automatically/intelligently auto
> complete Python code?"

Yes Yu-Xi Lim, you are right. Let me quote my self here: "I made my
mind
and I could volunteer to make this happen as thesis project for my
incoming graduation in the next year."