SQLite and Python 2.4

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 21:14:50 EDT 2008

You need sqlite itself (www.sqlite.org) and bindings, pysqlite 2
(http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/trac/pysqlite/) or aspw
(http://code.google.com/p/apsw/)

> 2. If sqlite3 is only for Python 2.5, does sqlite2 work the same way?

You are confused, yes. The sqlite3 package that comes with python2.5
is actually pysqlite2, which interfaces with sqlite3.
Also, sqlite3 and sqlite2 files format are not compatible.

> 3. Looking at the cookies.sqlite file, I see some text right at the top
> "SQLite format 3".  Does that mean that I need to use sqlite3?

Yes

> I kind of got the above example using pysqlite2.4.1 for python 2.4.  I get
> through the part where I create the connection object but the resulting
> object doesn't have a cursor method.  I thought that maybe it wasn't
> recognizing the cookies.sqlite file as a SQLite database so I tried the same
> code giving it a junk text file instead and it behaved the same way.  Since
> I didn't get an error message, I'm thinking that I've got the wrong version
> for the Firefox cookies.sqlite file.
>
> I don't have a clue as to where else to look to trace it down.  I'm hoping
> that someone here is more familiar with it and can give me some pointers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe Goldthwaite
>
> --

-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves